Primo Grill Margherita Pizza Recipe!
- Add olive oil, onions and garlic to a sauce pan on medium-high heat.
- Allow the garlic to brown and the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and thyme.
- Bring up to a boil, cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the basil and thyme.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on a cutting board and form the dough into a 12” circle.
- Apply the pizza sauce to the dough.
- Add fresh mozzarella on top of the sauce.
- Transfer the raw pizza to a pizza peel (you can sprinkle flour on the peel for easier transfer to the grill).
- Load the grill with a full amount of charcoal, light it in 2-3 areas and leave the dome open for 5-7 minutes.
- Place the heat deflector plates on top of the main cooking grates.
- Place the baking stone on top of the plates.
- Close the dome with the bottom draft door and top vent fully open.
- Heat the grill to 500-550°F.
- IMPORTANT: allow the plates and stone to heat up for 20-30 minutes before placing the pizza in the grill.
- Sprinkle rice flour on the stone before placing the pizza in the grill (rice flour has a higher burn point than corn meal). The flour will also help prevent sticking.
- Bake 8-15 minutes (the time will depend on the amount of toppings).
- Check the pizza after 5-7 minutes and rotate the pizza 180° if necessary if one side is getting browner than the other side.
- Allow the pizza to rest for a few minutes after removing it from the grill and top off the pizza with fresh basil pieces.